Saturday, December 25, 2010

How I Started Raising Chickens.

One day my mom was bringing me to a friends house. After she dropped me off, she saw some people on the side of the road selling chicks and bought 6 of them. I don't really know why she bought them, and I'm not sure she knew why either, but I am glad she got them. At the time, we had a litter of kittens too, so we had fun watching them play with each other.

We didn't have a home for them so we just turned a crate upside down in our garage to keep them in and keep other animals out. 

We read on the internet that they need a light when they are young, so we put a lamp inside their cage and that kept them warm. It was Spring 2009. I had a friend over and we decided to make a cage for them. We got some wood and built it. Then we stapled the chicken wire around it and put a tarp over the top for a roof.
When they were weeks old, 3 of them died one day at a time, and we weren't sure what was wrong. We just kept on doing what we were doing and raised three healthy little chickens! We moved them out into the yard next to the garage so they could peck at the grass for the first time. They loved it! A few months went by and I knew that their tarp covered cage wasn't a "proper living" place for them. So I thought of what I could do to build them a home. We had an old playhouse that we didn't use anymore and I took some measurements for wood and chicken wire. After a few weeks I had reconstructed a playhouse into a chicken coop!


I sawed the slide and the wooden ladder off the front and covered two walls with plywood and the other two sides with chicken wire. I hadn't moved them into their new home yet because I had just built it. I planned on putting them in their new coop the next day, but the next morning when I went to feed them, they were all killed. I was sad, but that is part of the whole experience. A year went by and my mom came home with 6 chirping chicks and I was ready to start over again.
I brought the old cage, that my friend and I built, into the garage and put that same lamp in the cage and fed them, watered them and played with them for months.
It was the beginning of summer and time for them to go outside! I moved their cage into the grass and they lived their for two weeks and one of them went missing. Later that day, one of my cats was laying out in the field eating something with feathers. It didn't affect me like it did the first time, but I just kept on raising them. When they got old enough to tell their gender, We realized that we had bought 4 roosters, and only had one hen. We gave away three roosters, and kept one of them to keep the hen company.


I moved them into their new home which I had built the previous year. I worked on it some more by sawing some planks upstairs, using the old ladder as a place to roost and a way for them to get to the top and back down, and to secure it from any future attacks. I had them for the longest time, but just recently some stray dogs broke through the wire and killed the rooster, but he protected the rest of the family because they were all upstairs in the top part of their new coop.


Before the dog attack, we bought two chickens from a guy on craigslist. We had no clue what they were or what gender they were. I thought that they were Bantam hens. My mom thought there was a Bantam rooster and a hen. We still to this day do not know what they are! Bantams are supposed to be small, but they are both younger than my first hen and bigger!



14 comments:

  1. Great first post!
    I think those two are Dominickers or however you spell it LOL.
    Can't wait until spring!
    Tell about the eggs we've gotten :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post....good luck with your chickens!
    O.K., tell us about the eggs.
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post Chad. Raising animals can be a challenge especially when you lose them to predators. The awesome thing is you tried again. Thanks for sharing your heart.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome hobby to have!! I used to love to go out to "collect the eggs" from my mother in laws house. It was like an Easter egg hunt every time we went out there! Good Luck with your lil family and you did an great job on the chicken house!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great first post! I look forward to seeing your coop develop and finding out how you encourage the hens to lay eggs. Keeping the critters away from your flock is hard, isn't it? We, too, lost our chickens to fisher cats a few years ago ... what a sad disappointment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading your story about your chickens. I'm really impressed with the chicken coop you made too, so creative!
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you, chickens look like fun to raise. I can imagine they are lots of work too though, so good luck!!!
    I like the ones that lay blue eggs, do you know which ones those are?
    Happy Chicken raising!
    Cheers,
    Margaret B

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Chad, I'm so impressed by your chicken coop. That is a very clever idea. I'm glad that you didn't let the set-backs that can come with raising farm animals discourage you from trying again. It must have been really hard to experience the loss of your chickens along the way, but I think that happens sometimes even to the most experienced of farmers.

    We live in the city, but we are allowed to have three chickens or two goats on our property. Three houses on my block have chickens in the backyard. They run around the neighborhood some, and eat bugs from the gardens. No goats so far!

    Keep blogging about your chickens okay? I really enjoyed reading what you've written so far, and your photos are great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I added some baby pictures if you want to look at them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chad, I love the chicken coop you built from the old playhouse....very creative! Great photos, too. Keep yup ther great work & keep blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You tell a good story. What a brilliant idea yu had to convert the old play house. I'd love to see some pictures of the eggs.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so interesting as I know nothing about raising chickens! Your photos are nice and I applaud your stick-to-it-ness!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what an enchanting story chad. going all the way from step one through twenty something to raise the chickens, keep them fed and warm and in good company, building a bigger home for them has proven you are a winner. success comes when you finish something you set out to do and you have done that. keep the stories coming. oh, by the way, how are they dealing with the snow?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chad I've come over from your Mum's blog for a visit. You write really, really well & your photos are fabulous. Here in Australia, we are a chicken-loving people, but we call them 'chooks'.
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete